What is VMware VCM (vCenter Configuration Manager) ? Most of us would know and would have read about it. Lets see in a nutshell what it can do There are N number of solutions available in the market for Configuration and Compliance Management for virtual platforms or for physical platforms. Most of them do few or all as mentioned below– Patch Management – Policy Management – Configuration Management – Compliance & Risk Management with built in templates – Change Management for Web applications, databases, servers, and network devices
Do I need another tool if my tool is efficient to deliver so much???
That’s a valid question, and the answer is NO until you get familiar with tools which can DO lot more with less, which in-turn reducing load on your pockets. VMware has given an amazing solution called VMware vCenter Configuration Manager (vCM) which can do all the above with ease of management. Let’s get a bit hint as to what vCM can do apart from above pointers.
1. Beyond being virtual – vCM not just collects, stores, re-mediates, and manages configuration settings from servers and workstations, across virtual but for physical environment including AIX, HP-UX, Mac OS, Red hat, Debian, Sun-Sparc, etc.. Using one single window of management you can enjoy best of both worlds..(Note: Refer vCM document for more details to understand what supports what)
2. Guest OS Provisioning – vCM has built in capability ability to provision supported OS distribution to bare metal or to a Virtual Machine on supported platforms.
3. Software Provisioning — vCM can package up applications and install to or remove from the supported platforms.
4. Shaking hands with Infrastructure – vCM works very well in conjunction with one of the most customer appreciated VMware product vCenter Operations Management Suite (Analytics patented to VMware) which helps in quick understanding and remediation of performance issues arising from configuration changes. It can also provide overall vSphere Hosts Configuration Summary including: Hosts in Maintenance Mode, Hosts needing Reboot, vMotion enabled, Host Profiles etc. Next time you know why your application is running slow, you can rollback the changes using vCM to fix the issue.
5. Touchy Apps – vCM supports applications like SendMail, ISS etc along with Exchange, SQL, Oracle for Collection, management, assessment, change tracking and remediation.
6. In best hands — Last but not the least, it is tightly integrated with vSphere & vCenter which is the foundation for YOUR PRIVATE CLOUD and in turn for public or hybrid cloud. Who else will know it’s products if not VMware???
7. It’s all about Money – Other Vendors cost you for OS, Applications etc maybe on modular basis making it uneasy and costly for customers, but in case of vCM, licensing is pretty simple. It is sold in two ways as part of VMware vCenter Management suites (refer at http://www.vmware.com/products/vcenter-operations-management/pricing.html )
More details could be found at http://www.vmware.com/products/configuration-manager/features.html