VMware vCenter Log Insight (will term as log Insight) is a tool to play around with log data if you are looking for
Why another tool for Log Management
- Loads of logs is generated by systems all day throughout the year.
- Scanning through logs in case of troubleshooting or monitoring or during Root cause analysis (RCA) is time consuming & tedious hulk task.
- Log analytics in an ongoing pain for many of us as logs contain important & valuable behavior and diagnostics information about dynamic environments
- Log management, an untapped area is not widely explored by customers.
VMware vCenter Log Insight
- Just like VMware’s vC Ops (Operations Management solution), which is analytic’s based solution for structured data, VMware introduced Log Insight which applies analytics based approach to logs & unstructured machine generated data.
- Collects and analyzes all types of machine-generated log data, e.g. application logs, network traces, configuration files, messages, performance data, system state dumps, and much more.
- Enables administrators, a single location to collect, store, and analyze logs at scale.
- Search and Query Box with predictive query keyword suggestions.
- Interactive Visualizations of Query Results.
- Adds structure to all types of unstructured log data, enabling administrators to troubleshoot quickly, without needing to know the data beforehand.
- Delivers real-time monitoring, search, and analytics, coupled with a dashboard for stored queries, reports, and alerts, enabling correlation of events across multiple tiers of a hybrid cloud environment.
- Highlighted fields increase visibility of tags and keywords
- Built-In vSphere Content Pack
- Automated correlation of performance and log data with the help of VMware vCenter Operations (vC Ops).
- Licenses per OS instance
- An OS instance is defined as any physical server, virtual machine, virtualized host (running ESXi, Hyper-V, KVM, etc.), network device (such as firewalls or routers), storage device, or any other system that can be identified through an IP address that generates log data
More details available at http://www.vmware.com/in/products/vcenter-log-insight/